Luxury bed sheets are investments which you can enjoy from the time of purchase and for several years to come, provided you use proper care methods. This is why it is very important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and to make sure you are properly taking good care of your sheets.
Different types of fabrics require varying methods when you wash, dry and iron them. A set of Egyptian cotton NZ luxury bed sheets is prone to shrinking, pilling, and other damages, particularly when you don’t follow the care recommendations. In order to enjoy your investment and sleep in comfort for many more years, follow these tips.
1. Use cold water. Lukewarm water is okay to use, but always avoid hot.
2. Wash your luxury bed sheets separate from clothes, towels, and other beddings. It is advisable to wash one set of sheets at a time. This can reduce the amount of pilling and prevent damage from fasteners or zippers. This also allows more room for the sheets to move in the water. As a result, they get cleaner.
3. Use a mild detergent that has no bleach, brighteners, whiteners, or fabric softeners.
4. Never use bleach. If your sheets have any stains, pretreat them before washing. If you want to brighten your white beddings, pour ¼ cup of lemon juice to the washing machine.
5. Wash them on a gentle cycle or the lowest agitation setting. Form each sheet into a loose ball before dropping them in if your washer has a centre agitator. This helps limit the damage to the sheets as they come in contact with the agitator.
TIP: Extend the life of your beddings by washing them frequently, ideally every week. This is so the accumulated dirt, dust, oils, skin, fluids, stains, and other particles sticking on the sheets won’t be too difficult to remove. If your beddings become too dirty or smelly, you’ll have to wash them longer to get them clean, and the prolonged stress from the washer causes further damage.
1. It is best to line dry your Egyptian cotton beddings outdoors but away from direct sunlight.
2. If hanging them out to dry is not possible, then tumble dry on low heat.
3. Remove them from the dryer as soon as the cycle is over and proceed to fold them right away. Smoothen out the wrinkles with your hands.
The best NZ luxury bed sheets made from natural materials such as cotton tend to wrinkle. Generally, it is recommended to avoid ironing them since the heat can compromise the fabric’s fibres. However, if you must iron, place a towel in between (this will serve as a protective layer).
1. Keep your luxury bed sheets in a dry location.
2. If you have a dedicated linen closet, place one set of beddings in an individual basket or shelf so they don’t get mixed with other fabrics and colours.
3. For those with more limited storage space, you can still organise your sheets by keeping each set together. Fold the fitted and/or flat sheet and the matching pillowcases (except one) and place them together in the remaining pillowcase.
TIP: Keep your beddings smelling nice by stashing a dryer sheet with each set of bed sheets.
Using the proper care tips, you’ll get to enjoy your Egyptian cotton beddings for a long time. But when the time comes to get new sets, make sure to buy them from a reliable supplier of luxury bed sheets in NZ, like the one you will find at www.thehotelsheet.co.nz.